Friday, July 20, 2007

Support from family and friends

Support from Family and Friends
By Jackie Wesley

There are many things that a newly bereaved person needs during the first few weeks. One of the most important is support from their family and friends, who should be there to let them talk and to really listen, to give hugs, and to help with any chores the bereaved are not able to accomplish yet. It’s hard for them to even think ahead to what should be done--washing clothes, cleaning, even answering the telephone may seem impossible. Many families have found it hard to go shopping for just basic groceries. They need someone to lend some thoughtful ideas and maybe see to some of these tasks a few times until their numbness has lightened a little.

Family and friends need to realize that the person who is grieving may never be the same. They will always be without their loved one and their lives will never be the same as before the death.

Since my daughter Teresa died I too have changed a lot; I have many new friends; I do things I’d have never done before, such as becoming a chapter leader, a newsletter editor and just recently writing articles on grief in these newspapers. I have more compassion towards others than before, and my interests are so very different now. If there were gifts resulting from a death, I’d say I have received many. Some people may think what I do is depressing. I feel it is helping others and at the same time helping me with my own healing.

No comments: