Sunday, July 22, 2007

Our lives can change in just an instant

Our lives can drastically change in just an instant
By Jackie Wesley


After talking to a friend I had not seen in a long time, I realized I’m really not the same person that she knew before my daughter Teresa died. In our Compassionate Friends support meetings we have talked about how we all change after our child, sibling or grandchild dies. We are then a bereaved being. We have suffered a devastating loss, and we watch others close to us who are suffering too. We can either be bitter--and accomplish nothing at all but misery--or we can put the love for our loved one to work and reach out to others who are hurting.

I have mentioned in past articles that it isn’t time that helps us heal but what we do with that time. I have found that to be true in my life. I try to do things that I believe will make my daughter proud.

Alan Pederson, a bereaved parent, a very talented songwriter and singer says that the four H's are very important--HOPE, HELP, HONOR, & HEALING. I know he is right. We all must have hope to go on with our lives. Helping others and also asking for help when we need it and honoring our loved ones in every way will eventually aid in our healing.

At The Compassionate Friends we offer friendship and support year round. In the summer we hold a balloon launch and picnic, and later we have a “Walk to Remember.”
In December we hold a very meaningful Candlelight program that helps us to get through the holidays, always a hard time for bereaved families.

We all hope those who attend our meetings will go away with a little of the four H’s: HOPE, HELP, HONOR, & HEALING. (Please click on older posts)

No comments: