Sunday, July 22, 2007

Grief and the beauty of spring

Grief and the beauty of spring
by Jackie Wesley

Late March is a time when everything begins to sprout and springs to life again, it is a time that many bereaved parents as well as others who are bereaved, wish our loved ones too could feel the spring in the air and see the beauty of the season.

It may not be something the very newly bereaved will notice the first year or so, but we who have lost our loved ones several years ago have started to notice again. It has been almost 14 years since my daughter Teresa died and last year is the first spring that I really noticed the beauty of a rose plant my son had given to me for a Mothers day gift in 1998 or 1999 (I think it was).

I made a card on my computer to send to newly bereaved parents who attends a first meeting of The Compassionate Friends. It includes a picture of that rose, not only because it’s beautiful but also with hope that someday they too will finally see the beauty of spring once again just as I have.

It is in doing these types of things that seem to help me in my own grief; I am a firm believer that doing for others is the most direct and best path to healing after you loose your child or anyone else. I feel it’s so very important to do things that help you to feel your child or other loved one is proud of what you do in their memory,
This is only my opinion but it works for me.

My hope is that every person who reads this article will reach out to another and do something or make a difference this spring in memory of their loved one.

No comments: