Friday, July 20, 2007

When grieving, advice is not needed, compassion is

When grieving, advice is not needed, compassion is
By Jackie Wesley


As a bereaved parent, and chapter leader I have learned that many who were bereaved before me, wanted to advise me how to grieve, It is not acceptable to tell others how to grieve as all grief’s are different, the child, the circumstances are totally different so no one will grieve alike.
As Compassionate Friends we are trained, to offer our experiences and let the newly bereaved know what has helped us, but in no way are we to push our thoughts, religion, or feelings off onto others at our meetings. I have been guilty of this myself, as I know what comforts me but I am learning too

We try to listen and support the members as well as the new people who attend, in hopes they will return.

Many of us have found that getting together for our annual balloon releases, our picnic’s and our “Walk To Remember” ( which is Aug 13th) help us to educate people that there is a support group that may be beneficial to them if they should ever loose a child, sibling or grandchild or if they know someone who has.

After setting up a small booth at a Senior Expo recently we discovered by the many who stopped to talk to us that the word is still not out about our Compassionate Friends meetings in the area. I suppose it’s because if there isn’t a need, there may not be an interest. Our goal is to let others know of our existence, and that we will be there for them if we are ever needed.

No comments: