Monday, July 16, 2007

Let us help in the new year

Let us help others in the New Year
Jackie Wesley, Chapter Leader


As I sit here today I am wondering how to describe my feelings when playing a video of my daughter Teresa who died 14 years ago. I am trying to figure out how to capture a few special scenes from the videos with my computer. I think back to some pretty wonderful, happy times and it sure does my healing a lot of good. I somehow feel as if I just had a visit with her.

Watching videos of our children after they have died may not be for everyone, but I do have to wonder if there are some parents who would get some of the same benefits as I do, if they’d just give it a try. It’s been a long while since I last watched our videos and even though I enjoyed them then, I find them even more enjoyable now.

Time helps us to see things differently as we progress along in our bereavement. I get “bonuses” after watching Teresa’s videos. I sometimes have great dreams and I feel they were triggered because of the movies and the memories they bring about.

If you have anything at all that gives you comfort in your bereavement this coming New Year, I urge you to do it often and tell others what has helped you so they too may be able to find the same or similar comfort.

If you have lost a child, sibling, or a grandchild, there are two Compassionate Friends support groups in Wayne County. If you have lost another member of your family there are other bereavement groups in this area you can attend, I certainly know that support in our time of pain can be so very helpful, and no one needs to walk alone.

My wish is that we all have a gentle New Year.

No comments: