Sunday, July 22, 2007

Reflections of bravery

Reflections of Bravery
By Jackie Wesley

As I sat and watched the funeral of Former President Gerald Ford, It took me back to the time my daughter Teresa died as well as my parents and my in –laws. I could feel the pain that I know without a doubt, Betty Ford was feeling and I could remember how brave I “think” I tried to appear when all I really wanted to do was go off to myself and cry my eyes out and scream… I could see the anguish that Betty had on her face as she also appeared to be brave.

Many of our Compassionate Friends members and anyone who has lost a loved one can relate to Betty Ford and the bravery she showed to the public. Some of us at our monthly support meetings have talked about almost, feeling as if we were hosting an event during the visitation at the funeral home, or even the luncheon after the funeral.
I am certain now that it is the numbness & shock that takes over at a time of great loss that enables us to survive these times.

My husband’s uncle Eldon died this past week, and his wife remarked as we left to return home “don’t forget me”,
I hope that everyone reading this will keep that in mind, don’t forget them who are left grieving; they’ll never need you more than they do now.

No comments: